There are many freeware media converters which do a great job, but I”m yet to find one that offers this cool feature Oxelon Media Converter has: integration with the Windows Explorer menus. This makes it so easy to use that even your grandmother could do it. I made two screen captures for you to see how you can convert your media files with just three clicks.
Converting audio files:
Oxelon Media Converter has the capability of simultaneously processing multiple files, thus saving you a lot of time. It works with Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. I’ve only tried it with Windows 7, but I guess we can trust the developer that it works with all those previous Windows versions as well.
Coolest Oxelon Media Converter features:
- Extracting music from video files: I love this because I can make audio CDs to listen in my car from my favorite video clips.
- File size reduction: this can be done either by adjusting bitrates or by changing video width and height. Using mono instead of stereo will also help reducing the file size in some cases. This feature could be useful in case you want to prepare video files for uploading them on YouTube.
- Windows Explorer integration: I explained this to my mother and she was able to convert files without even knowing more than 20 English words. However, if you don’t want to make use of this feature, you can disable it from the Oxelon Media Converter Settings menu.
- Drag and drop support: another cool feature for grannies, allowing them to convert the files they want as they find them in the computer (if you ever tried to explain a 70-year old computer beginner the file structure of a hard disk, then you know what I mean).
- Fast conversion of multiple files: Oxelon allows setting the maximal number of simultaneous threads, therefore, if you have a powerful quad-core multiprocessor system, you can increase this number for more productivity.
The program allows to convert video/audio files into the following formats:
3GP, 3G2, ASF, AVI, DV, DVD MPEG2, FFM, FLV, GIF, MOV, MP4, MPEG1, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS, NUT, PSP, RAW YUV, RM, SVCD MPEG2, SWF, VCD MPEG1, VOB, YUV4MPEG, M1V, M2V, M4V.
AC3, AAC, AIFF, AMR, AU, FLAC, MMF, MP2, MP3, OGG, VOC, WAV.
Oxelon Media Converter makes use of the following INTERNAL codecs:
BMP, DV Video, FFV1, FFV HUFF, FlashSV, FLV, GIF, H261, H263, H263+, HuffYUV, JPEGLS, Theora, XviD, LJPEG, MJPEG, MPEG1 Video, MPEG2 Video, MPEG4, MS MPEG4, MS MPEG4 V1, MS MPEG4 V2, PAM, PBM, PGM, PGM YUV, PNG, PPM, RAW Video, Real Video 10, Real Video 20, SGI, SNOW, SVQ1 Sorenson Video, Targa, TIFF, VP6, WMV1, WMV2, ZLIB, ZMBV.
AC3, ADPCM IMA WAV, ADPCM MS, ADPCM SWF, ADPCM YAMAHA, FLAC, G726, AMR NB, AMR WB, AAC, GSM, GSM MS, MP3, MP2, PCM ALAW, PCM MULAW, PCM 8/16/24/32 bit, SONIC, SONICLS, VORBIS, WMA V1, WMA V2.
The software works in two operating modes:
- Automatic Mode – the program shows carefully filtered list of supported parameters and codecs for each video/audio format. It is used by default.
- Manual Mode – the program shows the list of all available parameters and codecs for each video/audio format. You can enable this mode by choosing the “Show all” option.
Oxelon Media Converter is freeware. You can download it from here.
Update: it seems Oxelon Media Converter has some bugs. For instance, converting 3gp files won’t work. In case this is what you need, you’d better use this free 3gp video converter.