What’s the need for a pop up blocker?
Everybody knows the annoying pop up ads, displaying products we don’t need and slowing us down, eating our time. A pop up blocker prevents those ads from being displayed, yet letting us know when a pop up window has been blocked. Most of them offer the possibility to turn off the pop up blocker for certain sites that we trust. This is an essential feature a pop up blocker program should offer, because pop ups are used in registration forms or in web content management programs, such as WordPress. In these cases, a pop up blocker would deny access to essential pages, so it is very important that the user can choose to switch it off by desire.
A list of pop up blocker tools
- Google Toolbar: amongst other functions, it provides also a pop up blocker utility. It is available in two versions: IE and Firefox
- Synergetic Soft offers a free pop up blocker which works with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 5+
- Panic Ware has a pop up blocker which comes in two versions: Free Edition and Professional. They have a comparative table for the two versions.
- The pop up blocker tool from Registry Cleaner is called CleanMyPC™ and it is offered for free. It works with Internet Explorer.
- Super Pop Up Blocker 4.4. It can also block ICQ Welcome Dialog,Windows Messenger,GAIN and Desktop Pop-Ups. It kills spyware and AdWare programs that create pop up ads.
- EarthLink pop up blocker: it can also block Flash™ and Shockwave™ content and it gives you the option of viewing thumbnail versions of blocked ads.
- STOPzilla’s highly advanced pop up blocker intercepts and destroys all forms of pop up advertisements while allowing user-requested pop ups to display. STOPzilla has the intelligence to distinguish legitimate pop ups (banking sites, e-mail, etc.) from annoying pop up ads.
If you want to test your pop up blocker software, Popup Test provides a free online pop up blocker testing tool with different techniques of launching pop ups, allowing you to decide upon the quality of your pop up blocker software.